Our Library's Beginning
Early in 1900 a wealthy north country
native, A. Barton Hepburn, donated a library to each school he served as a
District Superintendent. He endowed those libraries in Colton, Edwards,
Hermon, Lisbon, Madrid, Norfolk and Waddington.
Each town agreed to raise a specific
amount of tax monies annually, to continue the support of the library.
Hepburn, a wise businessman, thus assured long financial life for the
libraries. our forefathers valued education and the people voted to accept
On October 1, 1921, the Edwards Library
was dedicated. A beautiful red brick exterior, stunningly accented by four
white columns, greeted the public on opening day, November 19, 1921.
Today, the library serves as a cultural
center and is faithfully supported by our town board financially. It
enjoys the active interest and support of a broad base of town and village
citizens who use the library and volunteer time and talent to ensure that A.
Barton Hepburn's wise investment will continue to benefit many.